Makita BHR261RDE 36V
This Makita 36V Cordless SDS Drill is a serious piece of kit; delivering a show stopping 3.0 Joules of impact energy, it’s powered by state of the art Makita Lithium-Ion batteries, recharging in 22 minutes flat thanks to the advanced MAKSTAR charger. (Review continues below…)
- Power source:
- Impact energy:
- Drilling capacity:
- Concrete 26mm, Steel 13mm, Wood 30mm
- Drilling modes:
- three (drilling, hammer drilling, chiselling)
See our full review below.
The Makita 36V LXT Rotary Hammer comes in two specifications:
- BHR261TRDE slightly pricier with quick release chuck.
There’s no doubt this is a premium piece of kit, that looks and feels mightily impressive. But it’s certainly not the only 36V cordless SDS hammer drill out there. So how does it compare to the rest of the field?
The Makita BHR261RDE 36V SDS drill in detail
Press the trigger and you know the Makita 36V SDS drill is not messing about. It feels like a corded SDS drill and will rapidly drill holes of up to 26mm diameter into concrete. The 3.0j of energy is delivered very smoothly and hammers away at a staggering 4,000 blows per minute – with more energy than some of the corded machines.
• 36V cordless hammer drill
• 3 Joules impact energy
• Max drilling capacity: (diameter) Concrete 26mm, Steel 13mm, Wood 30mm
• No load speed 0 – 1,200 rpm
• Blows per minute: 0-4,800bpm
The BHR261RDE and the BHR261TRDE drill have been designed with a centre of gravity nearer the soft vibration absorbing handle, giving the drill balance and reducing vibration and operating fatigue.
• Vibration: 13.5/sec2
Comfortable to hold with a soft grip and anti-vibration handle, the Makita 36V Cordless Weighs in at 4.5kg and has a compact, ergonomic shape for easy handling.
Battery type and performance
36V Lithium-ion batteries are currently the most powerful on the market and Makita has a strong claim to be the leader in battery technology. Makita’s Lithium-ion battery offers the fastest, lightest and most powerful battery performance out there to date. It’s now 40% lighter than the best previous Makita battery, with 2000+ charging cycles, 430% more run time and an amazingly fast recharging time of 22 minutes.
This Makita cordless SDS has a torque-limiter for additional operator protection The clutch makes the chuck slip if the torque goes beyond a stipulated point, causing the drill to cease rotating.
SDS Plus for speedy drill bit changes
Number of drilling modes
3 modes for rotation only, hammering with rotation, or hammering only (with chiseling function)
Other features worth mentioning
• Chisel rotates 360° with up to 40 different positions
• Electric brake
• Comfortable rubberized grip handle for reduced fatigue
• Forward and reverse rotation
• Handy LED light with after glow (useful if you’re casting a shadow or working in dim lighting)
• 22 minute MAKSTAR charger with built-in cooling fan
• 2 x 2.6ah Li-ion battery cartridges with 5x lower self-discharge (for use any time) and 16 firm-holding contact terminals (for constant high power)
• Carry case
• Depth gauge
• Side handle